Geneva Product Liability Attorney
We Always Have Your Best Interest in Mind
While you cannot always guarantee that the things you buy will meet your expectations or hopes, you should be able to count on the fact that the products you purchase and bring into your home are safe. You never think that item you are buying could cause you or your family harm. However, products can be unsafe or have unforeseen consequences that cause injuries to the consumer.
In cases like this, you might wonder if you can take action. Perhaps you are overwhelmed when you think about the steps needed to tell a company that their product was unsafe. Fortunately, our Geneva product liability lawyer at O’Brien Law is ready to advocate for you. We have 30 years of experience helping countless clients get the compensation they deserve.
If you have sustained an injury due to a product or service that you purchased, give us a call at (630) 480-4130 to discuss your situation. Our firm serves clients in Geneva, St. Charles, Batavia, and beyond.
What Does Product Liability Cover?
Product liability is a broad area of law that pertains to injuries sustained by consumers when they use a defective product. Generally, any type of product that you purchase could result in a product liability lawsuit if it has a flaw the causes you harm.
Common defective products that lead to injuries include:
- Tools: power cords, mechanical equipment, power tools, and ladders
- Electrical devices: computers, blenders, lamps, coffeemakers, and hair dryers
- Automobiles and parts: airbags, tires, seatbelts, gas tanks, steering parts, brake systems, and wiring
- Child car seats: faulty latches, buckles, and adjusters
- Medications: prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications
- Maintenance devices: trimmers, garden hoses, lawnmowers, and chain saws
- Recreational items: playground equipment, boats, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, and sporting equipment
- Children’s toys: small parts, lead paint, and improper age restrictions
- Household appliances: microwaves, HVAC systems, water heaters, stoves, and washing machines
Regardless of what the defective item is, if you have suffered severe injuries from it, our legal team can help you fight for fair compensation.
When Is Product a Considered “Defective”?
Obviously, there are limitations in the law that describe what a defective product is. Otherwise, companies would be sued all the time. People cannot, for example, file a claim because they were harmed by using a product in a way they knew was not according to its intended use.
In Illinois, there are three main categories of product defects that can potentially cause injury and lead to a product liability claim, including:
- Design defects: products that are dangerous due to a flaw that is inherent in their design
- Manufacturing defects: goods that do not align with the original or intended design because of a mistake made during the manufacturing or assembly process
- Marketing defects: items have insufficient warning of the potential risks of using the product
Let Us Review Your Case
When you meet with us, we can evaluate your situation and give you steps to move your case forward. We are dedicated to making the process as smooth as possible and assuring that you get a fair outcome. As you focus on recovering from your injuries, you can trust us to take care of the details of your case and keep you informed every step of the way.