Our Chicagoland winter is off to quite the start. With plenty of snow and ice already ushering in the season, we can be confident that more cold weather is on the way over the next few months. However, as suburban adults, we know that the cold weather and snowy conditions do not give us a break from getting to and from work or other destinations. This winter, as you get behind the wheel, be sure that you are being as safe as possible.
According to Safe Winter Roads, about 76,000 people are injured each year in automobile accidents during snowstorms. And did you know that about 70 percent of accidental deaths in the winter are attributed to automobile accidents?
If you grew up learning to drive in the Chicago suburbs, you might find that driving in winter conditions is second nature to you, especially by the time January rolls around. However, it is important to remind yourself of basic winter driving safety before you head out to your car, especially in a snowstorm.
- Keep your gas tank full and your cell phone charged. Both are crucial in situations that leave you stuck in traffic or on the side of the road after an accident.
- Be sure that someone knows where you are going and when you anticipate arriving.
- Allow for extra time to get to your destination; rushed drivers are never a good idea during slick road conditions. Slow and steady is the best pace to arrive safely.
- Assure that you can see from your windows before getting in the car. Scrape off snow and ice, as well as checking your windshield wipers for efficiency before you start your trek home.
- Check your insurance policy to assure you are up to date in case of an accident.
- Give salt trucks and road maintenance vehicles leeway.
In Case of an Accident
Even the most prepared and safe drivers can still end up in an accident. If you are in an accident, work with your insurance company and enlist the assistance of the team at O’Brien Law if you were injured. We are well versed in getting our clients the outcome they deserve.
Stay safe out there this winter so that you can enjoy spring!