Geneva Hit & Run Accident Attorney
Let Us Fight for You. Serving Geneva, St. Charles & Batavia.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a hit and run accident, you may be wondering if you can file a claim for compensation. At O’Brien Law, LLC, our personal injury lawyer has 30 years of experience and can evaluate your case to determine if you are eligible to recover money for your damages. We can also provide answers to all of your questions about these types of claims.
Do’s & Don’ts After a Hit & Run Accident
After an auto accident takes place, all drivers who are linked to the crash are supposed to remain at the scene, exchange information, and wait for law enforcement to arrive. But what if the at-fault driver flees the scene? There are several things you can do and not do to protect yourself and aid your claim for compensation.
Victims of hit and run accidents should:
- Gather information: If the at-fault driver starts to pull away, it is important to act fast to collect as much relevant information as possible. This includes their license plate number, a description of the vehicle, the direction the motorist was travelling, and the time and location of the accident.
- Collect witness statements: Try to obtain a witness statement from anyone around you who may have seen the accident. Be sure to get their name and contact information, in case they are needed for questioning later on.
- Contact the police: You should notify law enforcement that you were involved in a hit and run accident immediately after it takes place. The police will investigate the scene and damage and help determine who is at fault. A police report can be used to strengthen your claim for compensation.
- Never chase the other driver: Following a driver who is fleeing from the scene of the accident is extremely dangerous. Not only could it destroy crucial evidence required for your claim, but it could also put you at risk of serious injury from the other person if they turn against you. It is best to stay at the location of the incident and wait for the police.
- Consult with our car accident attorney: Your next step after dealing with the authorities is to contact our law firm. Be sure to do this before speaking with an insurance company. Our legal team can help you understand your rights and determine the right course of action for recovering compensation for your damages.
Call Today for a Free Consultation
We understand how shocking it is when an at-fault driver refuses to take responsibility for his or her actions. We also know how unfair it is that they would put you in a position where you have to bear the financial burden of your losses alone. Our Geneva hit and run accident lawyer is here to help you make things right.
Call O’Brien Law, LLC at (630) 480-4130 for the aggressive advocacy you require during this challenging time.